How I Created it.
First I took several photos of my friend Julian from various angles. I then used photoscan, a Photogrammetry application to convert the images into a textured 3D model.
For my final render I used an untextured model to make the image look more surreal.
I then added an eye to the model that I had created previously for another project. I used the eye as a light source and to add visual interest.
Then I set-up some simple lighting, trying to find a good contrast in colour and brightness.
I then photographed my monitor as a lazy way to show Julian (the model) what I had been working on. The image that my camera captured had an interesting change in contrast and increased the saturation as a result. This in combination with the image being slightly over exposed and out of focus made it feel much more organic than the original render.
After failing to recreate this effect in Photoshop I decided to photograph the image on my monitor as best as I could whilst still retaining the effects that I had created previously. This resulted in the image below.
I then added a long exposure photo from one of my time lapses over the top of the image with the blend mode set to screen. After removing some of the more detracting light sources I tweaked the the RGB curves and painted in a slight vignette and decided it was finished.